Tomorrow we are switching Cameron to a big boy bed. I'm scared to death. He's always been a star sleeper in that crib. I think sleeping at night in the bed will be easier than naps. I'm sure he still needs them, and I don't want him refusing naptime because of the change... but it'll be a lot harder to keep him in bed during the day!
Moms? What did you do to keep your kids in bed after you switched to a big boy/girl bed??
Jane 23
5 months ago















10 comments:
Ohhhh, I wish I had some good advice to give you... I'll tell you what worked best for me: SWITCHING THE BED BACK TO A CRIB. We had an overly terrible experience, but I think that we had a lot more factoring into that result (lots of moving, Daddy out of town, etc.) so I wish you better luck than we had! :)
Honestly, if is hard to do until about 2 1/2, or 3 years old, just like potty training. Unless, they are ready. Marcus was awful. Anneke was Cameron's age, but never did well in a crib anyway. (When we moved to Boulder we just never put the crib back up.) We spent a lot of time putting Marcus back in his bed. When he picked out the bed and sheets that helped him a lot. I am not sure if any of this is helping you, but that is what I have.
If I felt that I could wait, I would. When he turns 2, he'll have a sibling. That will take many months of adjusting for him, I think. Then by the time he turns 3, I'll need him to be potty trained AND in a big boy bed. We just don't have room for TWO cribs in that little bedroom. So, anyway, I figure it's too many changes before he turns 3...
We put Ben in a big boy bed when he was 15 months and it went great. We talked about it a lot and made it a very big, exciting deal. He climbs out every once and awhile, but it has never really been too bad. His naps have shorten, but he was still sleeping 4 hours then, so they were bound to shorten eventually.
My friend uses glow-in-the-dark stars as an incentive for her daughter to stay in her bed. I have heard of other incentives, like stickers or candy.
Good luck! I am sure it will go well. He is so cute!
We had a routine that we still follow to get our boys to bed. I think that switching him now is good because he is more likely to keep napping since he still really needs the day time sleep. A far as naps go I don't see anything wrong with you laying down with him for nap. It gives you both a rest and helps him to want to stay in bed since mom is there. At night we just follow the routine. We have scriptures prayers and whispers (matt talks to them about their day and tells stories, sings songs) with our boys every night then we turn on their bedtime songs and they lay in bed (almost) perfectly until they fall asleep. It's worked out well for us. sometimes they are asleep before we finish the routine. It's worked well for us. Good luck
I am not saying not to do it. We moved Marcus for some of the same reasons. I am just saying that if he is not ready it will be harder. We actually put a gate in front of his door so he wasn't visiting us at 2:30 in the morning. He could see out, we could hear him, but he wasn't wandering around. After a few days we didn't have to do that anymore and during nap time I stayed in there until he was asleep. That is when we started the bedtime routine and we still do it. He knew when it was time for bed. Each child is different, too. Marcus was/is a very social being, so a "big boy bed" was a great social opportunity.
Heh, I never figured out how to get ANY of my kids to sleep in a crib. They all moved to their own bed at three. Sierra is still sleeping with us. *sigh*
Just a thought, Marisa~ but we always keep our older one in the crib while the younger one has a bassinet. That way, we have enough room and yet don't have to force the issue of trying to get one kid into a bed who's not ready. They're all just so different... Abigail went to a big girl bed at 19 months and it was fine (a few problems with naps but never problems at bed time) Collette was another story~ she didn't really transition fully until probably 2 1/2 or so. And Ben~ I can't imagine putting him in a bed right now. He's just such a good sleeper in the crib and I would NOT want to see him in a bed that he can get out of any time he wants :) Whatever you decide, good luck!
how has the switch gone? that is a big step. good luck.
i really can't offer any advice. because i don't remember how we made the switch.
The first two nights and naps have gone off without a hitch! PHEW! Man, am I grateful!! We brought him with us to pick out the bed (which he loved--rolling around on all of them and pretending to sleep), picked out his own pillow and sheets, watched Dad take apart his crib, and helped put up the big boy bed. He really loves it. Hope our luck continues!
Post a Comment