Friday, March 13, 2009

Sinusitis, How I Loathe Thee

Never underestimate the value of the sense of smell and taste. I get a sinus infection every spring ever since I began college. The past few years I've been lucky enough to lose my sense of smell and taste with these Annual Sinus Fests. Let me tell you, losing the ability to taste is devastating. I am being serious. This morning I almost cried because I was so depressed about it. My stomach is telling me it's hungry. Browse the fridge and cupboards. Hmm...what should I have? IT DOESN'T MATTER. YOU WON'T TASTE IT ANYWAY. What should I make for dinner? Might as well just make enough for Brian and Cameron and starve yourself. What's the point of eating if you can't taste a curs-ed thing?? This should be the newest diet fad. If you want to lose weight, go find someone with a sinus infection and have them cough or sneeze on you. There you go. Now you too can lose 5 pounds in a weekend! And everything you see reminds you that you can't smell or taste. I was on my way to the grocery store this morning and saw a sign that read: "Lutheran Church Sample & Taste Party." Wow. Walk into the grocery store and be greeted by a veritable wall of enormous brightly colored flowers. My goodness, those look lovely. Too bad you can't "drink them in." Peruse the produce section. "Are these lemons fresh?" I have no idea! You could hand me a rotten fish and I'd say, "yep, that's good." Speaking of rotten fish and other offending smells, I would gladly welcome the smell of an explosive diaper, onion breath, and an ash try if I can but smell and taste those awesome-looking cinnamon rolls Anna brought over or those big pink peonies at Whole Foods that have been calling my name for some weeks now.

Is it "asking amiss" to pray that my sense of smell/taste come back...soon? Today? Now?

4 comments:

Raspberry said...

Oh man. I hope your sense of smell/taste comes back soon! I suppose you could always try Indian food. The hottest variety. If nothing else at least you'd have a 'reaction' of sorts. :)

Shayla said...

I hope it doesn't come back so I can get hilarious posts like that more often!! :)

Shayla said...

p.s. what if I came to visit this summer? will you guys be there? I just had a friend tell me he's driving to denver this summer sometime and I could hitch a ride...your thoughts? and dont' write your answer on this comment thing, I Wont remember to look at it again! :)

mountainmama said...

What a bummer!!!! let me know when it returns and I will bring you more sweet rolls and you can sit on your couch and indulge in the entire pan.