Friday, June 24, 2011

Summertime Family Housing Style

Living in Family Housing is awesome. We have plenty of quirks, but really the community is so great. These days we pretty much live outside. We can almost always go out the back door and have lots of friends to hang out with all day. I think it's really saved my sanity these 5 years. I've made a lot of wonderful friends here. 
We also have SEVERAL programs going for the kids during the summer. Each court has a water day once each week. We bring out about 10 kiddie pools, a sprinkler and a slip 'n slide and have snacks and drinks. There's kids soccer club once a week (which I'm involved in), music and movement class every other week, theater workshop for kids every other week (which I'm also involved in. We play theater games and the kids will be doing a show at the end of the summer on stage), and craft club once a month. Each court also does a big outdoor movie night too. And there's the Family Housing Campout. And the Children's Festival is tomorrow. I'm not involved in ALL of those programs, but a nice chunk. And I didn't even mention ALL of them- we've got a few other programs for the adults too. So anyway, summer is pretty busy around here for the kids and I!

Cameron and our neighbor/church friend's oldest child, Brendan at Family Housing kids soccer club. Cameron LOVES him.


Singing the welcome song.

They have the kids run to and from the goals (they call "the monkey house") in different ways: airplane-style, monster-style, monkey-style, etc. Here's Miss Liesel running down the field like an airplane. :)

This Brendan is such a good kid. He is so nice to Cam and Liesel.

Another game they play at soccer: they have a few kids lay down in the hula hoop pretending to be sleeping dinosaurs. Then they have the rest of the group carefully put their "eggs" into the nest (hula hoop) using only their feet. Then they run back to the "monkey house" (goal) without waking the dinosaurs. Then the kids have to go get their eggs back and the "dinosaurs" wake up and chase the kids back to the monkey house. If they get caught, then it's their turn to be a sleeping dinosaur.

practicing balancing.

my friend/co-worker Jackie helping Liesel :)

She actually loved it and tried to do everything the bigger kids were doing.


knocking over the cones with the ball

Water days! 

Cameron and his friend, Henry


In other news: Brian is the new garden liaison for our court's community garden in Family Housing. I think he's really enjoying it and he's working hard. Cleaning out the tool shed, weeding the paths, and there's a HUGE mountain of semi-usable compost out there that's been building up over years. He's going to tackle that tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love having all those activities. Good luck on the compost. You can always leave it, stick it over cleared ground in the fall and till it in. Or take it to green wast.

The Trees said...

Marisa,you are such a good photographer! Your sweet kids are adorable. I love little Liesel's getup! And I'm taking so many of these ideas to our own backyard. Sounds like an awesome summer!