Sunday, October 11, 2009

Getting a Google Account

(I'm putting off going private for another few days to give more people a chance to see this post. For more explanation, see Brian's comment.... in the comments.)


Hey again! So on Tuesday we're going private. Brian told me that Blogger (which runs this blog) requires invited readers to have a Google Account. I didn't believe him, but alas, it is true, darn it!

So let me make perfectly clear that by signing up for a Google account does NOT mean that you have to change your email address and bend over backwards just to read our blog. (If you already a gmail account or a blogger account, you are already good to go!)

So if you do not have gmail, blogger, or a Google account, here's what you do:

1. Go HERE
and sign up for a Google account. It will be SUPER-fast and easy and free and secure and all of that. You are NOT creating a new email address. You just enter the current one you have! Got it? Okay! :)

ONE STEP. HOORAY!

3 comments:

Shayla said...

uh...I have a lot of readers that have addresses other than gmail. FYI.

Marisa said...

I... don't know. More investigation? Last night I experimented to see if Brian was right. I made the blog private, added my yahoo email to list of readers, signed out of gmail and the blog, and tried to sign in with my yahoo account. It wouldn't let me see the blog unless I registered that yahoo email address with Google. ..... ? ....

Brian & Marisa Neyenhuis said...

Shayla, You don't have to have a gmail account, you have to have a Google account. Blogger is run by google. Lets say your e-mail was Iliketolicktoads@yahoo.com, google shouldn't and doesn't know your yahoo e-mail password, only yahoo does (they don't share that). So how do you log on to our blog with a yahoo or other non-gmail account? You have to tell google your e-mail and create a password with them (it can even be a different password than you use with yahoo). This is all a google account is.