Okay kids, here's the Stromboli Recipe:
This makes 2 loaves... so only use HALF the filling for the first loaf.
Dough:
1 cup plus 2 T. lukewarm water
1/4 c. orange juice
1 T honey
4 T unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. unbleached bread flour
heaping 1/2 c. dried potato flakes or 3 T potato flour
1/4 c. nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. instant yeast
Spinach and cheese filling
3 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
10 oz. mushrooms, washed and chopped or sliced (4 to 5 cups)
10 oz. fresh spinach or two 10 oz. packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly squeezed dry
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
5 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives (optional)
To prepare dough: combine all ingredients, and mix and knead them until you have soft, smooth dough. Cover and allow to rise until nearly doubled 1-2 hours.
Filling: Heat skillet until hot, add oil and garlic, then add mushrooms immediately. Cook mushrooms until they give off juice. After 2 minutes or so add spinach, salt and pepper. Cook just enough to wilt spinach. Remove from pan, put mixture in a bowl. Stir in cheese and olives.
Assembling the stromboli/baking: I rolled out the stromboli on a lightly greased work surface (it's better not to add more flour and it's pretty easy to manipulate this way). Divide it in half. (As it makes TWO loaves, remember??) Roll it out into a rectangle shape. Put half the filling on the dough, leaving 1 inch margins on the sides. Fold the two long edges over (to keep from spilling out). Starting with the short edge, gently roll the dough into a 10-12 inch log. Put loaf on a greased pan. Repeat with other half of dough. With a sharp knife, cut 4 diagonal slashes in each log, to let steam out. Then cover the loaves with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
Bake until loaves are light golden brown, and filling is bubblig, 35-40 mins. If they look like they're getting too brown too quickly, then tent them LIGHTLY with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time. When you take them out, the loaves may flatten a little, but that's normal.
That's all! And oh my does it smell good! :)
Jane 23
5 months ago















6 comments:
Thank you. It may be awhile before I find myself buying that many mushrooms, but when I do....mmmm, I'm already excited!
yum! i can smell it already.
i don't believe i have ever made dough with oj in it. this will be fun.
yeah! OJ?! But the book says that it improves the taste of wheat bread--takes some of the bitterness out of it I guess!
YAY I'm excited!
Thanks. I am going to try too!
OK, I don't want to make this. I want you to make this for me. :) Come on over any time!
Post a Comment