Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dandelions and Soil Blocks

The kids making soil blocks here. What are soil blocks? They pretty much look like brownies when they're done. And you put a seed in the middle of the block and start growing it inside before your last frost date. What's the point? Well, you've probably seen plants in the cheap-o plastic containers at Home Depot or somewhere. Or sometimes people will start seeds in an egg carton. The issue with that is root shock. By using a soil block, you can transplant the seedling without causing root shock. How's that for garden nerd talk? Was I accurate, Brian? There's a lot of soil block making around here. I think we currently have soil blocks with asparagus pea, tomatoes, and a ton of flowers like poppy, aster, sweet pea, four o-clocks, columbine, hollyhock, forget-me-not, and delphinium in our soil-block tray. And there's already a lovely honeysuckle out there thanks to the Fairbanks. And the snapdragons and some of the sweet peas are out already too. I went wild with the flowers, yes.

Picking dandelions. Cameron laid down on his stomach to pick some and of course his sister has to do exactly what he's doing. I told them they can pick as many dandelions as they want without asking. But any other flowers, they have to ask first. So now we have 3 glasses full of bright yellow dandelions ;)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay Springtime and cute kids! :-)

We have a gift for the kids...hope to get it to you before Easter!

Heidi Noel said...

Your boy is looking more and more like your husband, but I can still see you, too. What fun! I miss Colorado.

Steph said...

I'm SOOOO glad someone moved in who appreciates those honeysuckles. Just wait until they start blooming - MMMMMMMM. Delicious.

Brian is now the Newton Court Garden Whisperer (Matt Sanders always called Ben that). Good on him.