Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring Break: Museum day

Every year when CU has Spring Break, Family Housing organizes a bunch of different activities like trips to the zoo, aquarium, children's museum, butterfly pavilion, Denver nuggets game, bowling on campus, ice cream social, etc. Yes, a lot of stuff. I want to say 2 activities each day. Each RM helps run 2 activities. So I was helping with the Denver Museum of Nature and Science trip on Monday. There was so much to see--I was surprised how fast the time went. One of the exhibits was about snakes and lizards and they had a live snake and lizard show. So we went to go see it. The guy brought out those huge 8-9 foot snakes and had it draped around his neck talking about them and carrying it around for everyone to touch. This guy didn't warn us what was bringing out, and so when he brought out the first big snake, I automatically jumped up and kinda ran away. But then I got brave and actually TOUCHED IT. I don't think I could've if its face was in my face, though. He brought out a big yellow one and its face was in L's face and was sticking out its tongue at her. She didn't scream about it, but she kinda backed up like, "Yeah, I've had enough. Go away."

After the snake show, they had this little "snake race" downstairs. They wrapped the kids up and had them race each other. That's L in the bright green "python skin."

As the guy said, "GO!" I thought, "oh, yeah... Liesel's not going to get how to do this..." She did better than I thought, but it was still hard for her. So then this happened: 

In the Health exhibit. This thing had a camera and would copy your movements. The kids thought that was cool.

Some preschool projects I thought were cute:
Cameron's class a week themed on space. He came home with this spaceship:
And another week's theme was bugs. They went to the Butterfly Pavilion on a field trip. And they made these butterfly life phases (....?) The eggs on the leaf on the far left, the yellow tape on a stick is they chrysalis, and then the butterfly.

We've been having awesome sunny, warm weather for the past month or so. Everything is budding and blooming much earlier than last year. I love it! While it wasn't exactly warm enough that I'd want to get wet, the kids convinced Brian to blow up the pool and fill it up!
(He's spraying them with the hose here.)

So my new calling is Sunbeam teacher! Look out all ye 3 year-olds! ;)
No, really, if you have ANY tips or advice, I'm all ears.

1 comments:

Becky said...

Love children's museums! Cute photos. Congrats on your new calling!